Undergraduate: Getting Started
Why Major in Mathematics?
Top 10 reasons to major in math
- It is beautiful and fun.
- It is the language of the universe.
- It is instrumental for any other science.
- It is non-commercial, non-political, non-controversial.
- It is abstract yet useful.
- It increases your market value.
- It makes everything else looks easy.
- It will show you that no numbers may be omitted here.
Skills you will learn (and employers will value)
- arguing logically and rigorously
- thinking abstractly
- formulating and solving problems
- analyzing data
- creating and analyzing mathematical models.
Jobs for Math Majors
A bachelor’s degree in mathematics will prepare you for jobs in
- actuarial sciences
- mathematical modeling
- bio technology
- mathematics education
If you wish to take your undergraduate degree directly to the job market after graduation, extracted from the National Association of Colleges and Employers 2005 salary survey, provides a comparison of average starting salaries for students by undergraduate major.
Math major will prepare you well as for graduate school leading to a research career in
A strong background in mathematics is also necessary for research in many areas of computer science and social science.
In addition to higher pay, a math major’s employment promises higher levels of job satisfaction. JobsRated.com ranks 200 jobs according to environment, income, outlook, physical demands, and stress.
|Senior Corporate Executive||88|
|General Practice Physician||142|
- Nice and modern campus
- Great students
- Excellent faculty
- Unbeatable environment for you to learn, grow and succeed
- Many scholarship opportunities
- Many research opportunities
Scholarships for Math majors
Research Opportunities for Students
Our department offers many research opportunities for undergraduate students, see Research opportunities.