Each year, we distribute thousands of dollars of scholarships resulting from gifts from our many generous donors. These are open to math majors and graduate students.
For additional scholarships and sources of funding available for math majors, see the Funding page.
In order to be competitive for an award, applicants should satisfy the following selection criteria.
- Declared math major (required).
- Demonstrated ability in mathematics and statistics courses that show clear progress towards a degree.
The individual scholarships may have additional requirements and restrictions. Details can be found at the University Financial Aid Office website. A brief description of the criteria for each is given below. Dollar amounts are approximate total awards for that scholarship each year. Awards marked FAFSA require financial need as determined by FAFSA.
Scholarships for undergraduates
- Merit based
- Ione Holt Grogan Scholarship: ($6,000 total available) NC resident or direct descendant of alumni
- Judith J. Mendenhall Scholarship: ($1,500 total available) FAFSA, not open to freshman, preference given to females
- Eldon E. and Christine J. Posey Mathematics Scholarship: ($2,800 total available)
- Bertha Barnwell Vielhauer Endowed Scholarship: ($12,000 total available) FAFSA
- Helen Barton Scholarship: ($35,000 total available)
- Cornelia Strong Scholarship: ($80 total available)
- Dr. Theresa Phillips Vaughan Math Scholarship: ($2,100 total available)
- Need based
- Applicants must complete a current FAFSA and demonstrate financial need to be eligible any scholarship marked FAFSA above. Award amounts may be modified to meet financial aid requirements. Available at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov or see the
Financial Aid Office for details.
- A letter of reference is required for your application. It can be submitted directly by the reference writer via email to email@example.com or regular mail to the Scholarship Committee at the department address at the bottom of the page. The letter should be from a math professor/teacher addressing your coursework and potential in mathematics.
- Apply online through the Spartan Scholarship System portal, which automatically matches you with the scholarships for which you are eligible including those within your academic department. To get started, go to https://uncg.academicworks.com and sign in using your UNCG credentials. Please answer all of the questions presented to you in the application for full consideration
- Your application will be considered incomplete until all required portions are submitted.
Visit the scholarship information page to learn more about each scholarship.