Undergraduate: Student Life
All mathematics and statistics students have an advisor who is available to assist them in issues related to academic planning, course selection, and identifying areas of interest and possible career/professional options.
How To Find Your Advisor
You can find your advisor by checking UNCGenie: Enter the “Secure Area”, go to “Student and Financial Aid”, then “Registration” and “Advisor”.
Registering for Classes
One of the most important times you’ll interact with your advisor is when choosing courses to register for. The university has a designated advising period this for see the registration calendar from the University Registrar to find out when this is (typically October to register for Spring and March to register for Fall).
Here are the steps to follow during this advising time:
- Look over the UNCGenie Advising and Registration Guide.
- Generate a new degree evaluation in UNCGenie, print it out, and read through it to understand what academic requirements you still need to meet. More information about the degree evaluation can be found at the University Registrar.
- Based on the needs identified in your degree evaluation and your interests, select a set of classes you’d like to take.
- Download a copy of the Mathematics and Statistics Advising Form, and fill it in with the courses you have identified. If you are taking classes to satisfy specific requirements, make sure you note that on this form. The sample 4 year plans may be helpful.
- Contact your advisor, and set up an advising appointment. An appointment is important! Don’t just stop by and assume they have time for an advising session. Some advisors use Starfish to set up advising appointments, so be sure to watch for emails from your advisor with instructions to register for advising.
- Go to your appointment, taking your printed degree evaluation and your filled-in advising form. Discuss your course selections and any questions you might have with your advisor. If your plan is acceptable, your advisor will give you an advising code that you can use to register for classes.
Make sure you keep a copy of your advising code. You will need it for course registration and schedule changes.
Who is my academic advisor?
If you are a new student, new transfer, new second degree, or newly returning student, you will initially be assigned to the Advising Coordinator (Tracey Howell). She will be responsible for advising you during your first year to ensure your current credits are applied correctly and you take the appropriate course that put you on track toward completion of the major.
Once you have made sufficient progress within the department and are on track toward the major, you may be reassigned to a different advisor who can assist you with staying on track, selecting appropriate electives depending upon your interests, and identifying resources for exploring opportunities beyond academics.
Periodically, a faculty member’s duties may require temporary reassignment of students to another advisor within the department.
Useful Links and Documents
- UNCGenie Advising and Registration Guide
- University Registrar’s Office (URO): Information about graduation, changing majors, transfer credit, and more.
- Students First Advising Overview
- Mathematics and Statistics Advising Form
- Sample 4 year schedules
- Science major with math minor
- Degree Requirements Details