Mathematics Placement Test
The Math Placement Tests will determine your eligibility to enroll in MAT 120, 190, or 191. Certain entry level courses have no prerequisites; students who wish to enroll in MAT 112, 115, 150, or STA 108 may do so without a placement test. The placement test may only be taken twice per calendar year.
- MAT 115 (College Algebra) is a prerequisite for MAT 120 (Calculus with Business Applications)
- MAT 150 (Precalculus 1) is a prerequisite for MAT 151 (Precalculus 2), which is a prerequisite for MAT 191 (Calculus I)
- MAT 190 (single semester Precalculus) is a prerequisite for MAT 191 (Calculus I)
You can see additional information as well as practice problems on the UNCG Mathematics Placement Information Sheet.
A students with a sufficiently strong mathematics background who wishes to enroll in MAT 120, 190, or 191 must take the placement test or score 2 on the AP Calculus Exam. The Mathematics Placement Test is administered online on Canvas. The test is 35 multiple choice questions with a forty-five minute time limit.
Fill out the Request Form to request access to the placement test after reading the information below. (The requesting student must be logged in to iSpartan before accessing the form so that the correct username is collected.) The requests are processed every few days, so you may have to wait up to two business days before the test is ready. You will receive an email notification at your UNCG email address when the test is ready.
On the Math Placement Test, a score of 60% or better allows enrollment in MAT 190 or MAT 120. A score of 80% or better allows enrollment in MAT 191.
|60% or better on test||MAT 190 (Precalculus), MAT 120 (Calculus with Business Applications)|
|80% or better on test||MAT 191 (Calculus I)|
After you take the placement test, contact the instructor of the section in which you wish to register. The instructor can verify your score and put in an override request that will allow you to register for the course if you have no other blocks on your account.
- The math placement test does not award any course credit.
- The placement test score is only valid for 1 year.
- You can sign up to take the math placement test once per calendar year. You can attempt the test twice per calendar year. You must submit a request for each calendar year.
- The use of calculators is allowed on the placement test.
- A score of 2 on the AP Calculus exam is sufficient for placement in MAT 191. Contact the instructor of the section in which you wish to register for the override.